The Sailor I Idolize

          When sailing with different people, you will start reading people. Their ability to work, respect towards other, socializing skills and displaying character. It might be hard to see someone who excels at all the aforementioned skills, but I was lucky enough to see and sail with one. His name is Mr. Stephen Pinto and he was a Pump Man on my first ship. I know this might sound exaggerated but anyone who had sailed with would agree to this. He was 58 years old and was the oldest and most experienced sailor onboard without a doubt. He has been sailing since he was 20 years old, his sea time alone is double of my age. One would not expect the way he would treat me onboard, the amount of respect he would show me (a 19 year old first ship cadet) still leaves me stumped. Even when I’m clumsy, he’d take the time to teach me the proper way. 


Mr. Pinto in all his glory and panache
       I would mostly get assigned to assist him by Chief Officer, and it’s never a dull day with him. He had taught me everything from basic deck work to advanced tanker operation. He would never fail to share his vast knowledge with me anytime, and there’s not a single time I could say that he treated me down or shouted at me. Which is very normal as a cadet, but he stood as an exception and an example for others. Sometime even I’d struggle to keep up with high spirited energy. I sailed with him for 8 months, not a single day he had not worked or fallen sick or gave a reason not to work. While working he would tell these trivial jokes to keep the fun side up, and his seafarer stories from all over world had kept me amazed and hoping for them to happen in my life.

Left To Right : 3/O Aminul, Me, C/O Kamrul, 2/O Li yong, P/M Pinto 

These are just some of the qualities I’ve shared about him, but as you could see I observed and learned all of these qualities from him. We became best buddies irrespective of our age or experience or rank. We used to chat and even on the days we don’t work together. I still look up to him not only because of what he taught me but what he showed me that matters. I am proud to say that I sailed with him. We still talk every now and then we still look forward to sail with each other. 



With the rest of the Crew during a Special Lunch


Comments

Popular Posts