Wonder Woman on Board


                      Ever wondered why there’s Seaman but no Seawoman. That’s because sailing is a profession predominantly occupied by men since it started. It’s no easy task to work in such a hazardous environment, away from home for months, no means of communication to the land, mental stress, and physically demanding work order. Before 20 years if someone said are that there are women sailors, no one could have believed them. But, times have changed now there are women sailors that setting milestones that no one thought could have been achieved. In my first ship there were no female officers onboard, but from what I heard from the crew who have sailed with a female officer said that they all had an unpleasant experience, allegations made on them ranged from not compatible to carry out duties to being a drama queen, and drawing unnecessary attention and so on. 

FFA maintenance work being carried out.

                    So, on my Second ship after 2 since I joined, a female third officer signed on. Her name was Ms. Laarni Grace Pangilinan. And at that time all those things my previous ship crew told me was running through my head, the first time I met the 3/O and wished her, she didn’t even respond back. I thought she is going to be a headache, since I was keeping watch with her from 8 to 12. Then we had our bridge watch and cargo watch together for a couple of weeks, as time went on I came to know her.


8 to 12 Watch keepers 
                       I have sailed with her around 5 months, now I can say utmost respect that she proved me wrong about all the things reportedly said about female officers. She complete opposite of all those things. She always carried out her duties including maintenance work of FFA, she would never find a reason to skip any work. She was tough, and never broke down under pressure, since the ship was on a Trans-Harbor run and the voyage time is around 3-4 hours between departure and arrival ports, she never created a fuss about it. She didn’t expect anyone to treat her as different from others and she would hate if anybody did so. She was totally competent at carrying out all of her duties. Most often or so with extra care and caution that she would constantly ask me to check readings or bearings frequently and it would end up in a quarrel since I’m quite tired and wouldn’t follow her orders. But that’s not every time, for instance she talked me into Parasailing when we went shore leave in Thailand, she wasn’t even afraid as much as I was before hooking up the parachute. She had that adventure seeking, fun loving sensation all the time.


The face of an adrenaline junkie.

                    She is one brave, hardworking, strong, in short a beauty with brains. She sets as a role model for the junior women seafarers all around. From third officer to cadet we became good friends even though not a day went by without us quarreling. I’m glad to have sailed with her, and looking forward to show and tell her future achievements. 

On the beach of Pattaya, Thailand.





Comments

  1. Is this your article?

    https://singaporecitymrttourismmap.blogspot.com/2018/09/singapore-tourism-map-expert-vs-bad.html

    It has been stolen by the said blogspot like many others. Go check out what else he stole.

    I have filed a complaint against this guy too. You should do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts