Good VS Bad experience onboard

The good and bad experience onboard for me happen to be on the same day at the same moment. so the bad experience first. The story begin when I was on watch with my 2nd mate at 0135H in the stormy force 5 morning. we were en route to Venezuela. so through out the first one hour there nothing much happen. I make coffee for him, doing the usual stuff until we hear

"MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY, THIS IS THE WHITE STAR, MY POSITION AT 095 DEGREE 21 MINS WEST, 26 DEGREE 30 MINS NORTH, I AM SINKING, MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY".

without a moment to waste 2nd went to the chart and plot the position of distress vessel and order me to call the capt on bridge. I call the capt and went to look at the chart, our vessel waypoint happen to be crossing the distress vessel. my heart was drop dead at that moment. when the Ukrainian capt come up and ask has the coast guard respond yet? 2nd said not yet. 2nd then explain the situation.




"Comrade, we shall conduct search and rescue" that one of the word I will remember. the capt look at me and  told me to respond the distress vessel. 2nd was shock. " sir are you sure sir, he is just a cadet, he is not qualified?!" capt then said " I already teach him yesterday". "are you sure sir, he doesn't have any certificate" explain 2nd. then capt said this 5 word that i will remember forever. "Capt order must be honoured". 2nd then handover me the VHF telephony. With my hand shaking, heart pounding and in a state of staggered panic, I just do it.

"DISTRESS VESSEL WHITE STAR, DISTRESS VESSEL WHITE STAR, THIS IS THE M.T OF THE AMERICAN EAGLE TANKER, M.T EAGLE TAMPA, CALLING YOU ON CHANNEL 16, PLEASE RESPOND".
I put the telephony at the window, there was an eary silence in the bridge. then the VHF sound.

" EAGLE TAMPA, EAGLE TAMPA, THIS IS THE WHITE STAR. *gasp* GO AHEAD".

I then respond like how the coast guard respond,

"WHITE STAR, EAGLE TAMPA, CAN YOU DESCRIBE ME THE LENGHT AND COLOUR OF YOUR VESSEL, HOW MANY PEOPLE YOU HAVE ONBOARD, AND ARE YOU IN IMMENIENT DANGER" .

white star then respond

" *gasp* I AM 30 METER LONG WHITE YATCH, I HAVE 6 PERSON ONBOARD, 4 ADULT, 2 DAUGHTER, I AM SINKING RIGHT NOW, WE ARE GETTING IN THE LIFERAFT NOW....PLEASE SOMEONE SAVE MY DAUGHTER!"

I ask capt what to answer, he only said act and respond accordingly. I then respond to white star

"WHITE STAR, EAGLE TAMPA, ROGER UNDERSTOOD, WE ARE ON OUR WAY IN 90 MINUTE, BUT IT GONNA BE DARK, AT PRECISE 0300H I NEED YOU TO FIRE ANY FLARE OR ANY OTHER MEAN AS POSSIBLE. NOW DONT WASTE ANY TIME ABANDON YOUR SHIP NOW!"

"Well done cadet, i never of thought reacting like that yes" capt praise me but it was to soon to celebrate. than other nearby vessel start contacting me on what is happening. Having enough of answering one by one, I decided to send broadcast

"PAN PAN, PAN PAN, PAN PAN, THIS IS THE M.T EAGLE TAMPA, TIME @ 0140H, I HAVE RECEIVE A DISTRESS SIGNAL BY VHF ON CHANNEL 16 OF A SINKING SMALL 30M LONG WHITE COLOUR YATCH AT POSITION AT 095 DEGREE 21 MINS WEST, 26 DEGREE 30 MINS NORTH WITH 6 PERSON ONBOARD, 4 ADULT, 2 DAUGHTER. ALL VESSEL ARE ADVISE TO KEEP A SHARP LOOKOUT AND REPORT ANY SIGHT TO THE U.S COAST GUARD. THIS IS EAGLE TAMPA CONDUCTING THE SEARCH AND RESCUE, STANDING BY ON CHANNEL 16"

Later on other nearby vessel join in the joint rescue operation. i still remember the name of the vessel join the operation. , Maersk Emma, MSC Carolina, MSC Oscar, Carnival Dream. At that point capt guide me on coordinating the rescue operation.later,the U.S Coast guard respond

"EAGLE TAMPA, EAGLE TAMPA, EAGLE TAMPA .THIS IS THE UNITED STATE COAST GUARD SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, WE JUST GET BACK OUT COMM BACK ONLINE, WHAT GOING ON?"

"U.S COAST GUARD, THIS IS THE EAGLE TAMPA, I HAVE RECEIVE A DISTRESS SIGNAL BY VHF ON CHANNEL 16 OF A SINKING SMALL 30M LONG WHITE COLOUR YATCH POSITION AT 095 DEGREE 21 MINS WEST, 26 DEGREE 30 MINS NORTH WITH 6 PERSON ONBOARD, 4 ADULT, 2 DAUGHTER. I AM CURRENTLY CONDUCTING S.A.R OPERATION WITH MAERSK EMMA, MSC CAROLINA, MSC OSCAR AND CARNIVAL DREAM, WE WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD HELP US."


" ROGER UNDERSTOOD, THE M.T EAGLE TAMPA SHALL BE THE ON SCENE COMMANDER, BE ADVISED USCGC BERTHOLF AND USCGC THETIS ARE IN ROUTE TO YOUR POSITION, BOTH OF THEM HAVE HELI STORE IN IT."



capt then ask me to tell all the rescue operation ship to ready their ship for helicopter landing. he said the weather are getting worse.

"ALL JOINT OPERATION SHIP, STANDBY YOUR DECK FOR HELOCOPTER LANDING, EAGLE TAMPA, STANDING BY CHANNEL 16."

the situation in my ship bridge from being quiet with my 2nd now is full with all the ship crew to keep a sharp lookout.50 mins has past and i contact the nearby ship have detect anything in their radar. all of them said no echo so far and stormy weather are interfering with the scanner.

90 min has past and my ship first to arrive on scene, 8n.m from the position, other ship still right behind me and the U.S Coast guard ship still far behind. In my heart there still hope for them to fire the flare but there was no flare, even no echo in the radar. I said to the capt,

"sir, are we too late"
"dont lose hope yet cadet, keep a sharp lookout"

+30 mins and still no sight, other ship are nearby me and the USCG ship will arrive in another 30 min in this stormy weather. at that point i was breaking down, fearing the live of the white star. blaming myself for the late action, bosun calm me down that we did all we could, but never lose hope. Capt then shouted at me

"Dont you bring this attitude on my ship! in this ocean life, either you abandon ship or abandon hope!"

then red flare we fire in the sky. all hope that is sunk has now float back again.

"ALL SHIP PROCEED WITH HALF AHEAD, WE DONT WANT TO SLICE THEM"

but Capt decided to put the ship on full ahead toward the light.

We have found them.

"USGC BERTHOLF,EAGLE TAMPA WE HAVE FOUND THEM,"
"EAGLE TAMPA, ROGER UNDERSTOOD, CAN YOU RESCUE THEM?"

Capt decided not to risk the crew to save them

"BERTHOLF, EAGLE TAMPA, IT TOO RISKY FOR US TO RESCUE THEM"
"ROGER UNDERSTOOD, WE SEND OUR HELO TO PICK THEM UP, PLEASE PROVIDED LEEWAY FOR THEM"
"ROGER UNDERSTOOD, ALL JOINT RESCUE OPERATION, FORM A LEEWAY, I WILL SEND THE COORDINATE BY AIS MESSAGE"

Maesrk emma, Msc Carolina, Msc Oscar and carnival dream provided a huge leeway barrier for the liferaft, My vessel was the nearest to the liferaft.

"EAGLE TAMPA, THIS IS RESCUE HELICOPTER, CAN ILLUMINATE THE LIFERAFT FOR US PLEASE"
"RESCUE HELICOPTER, EAGLE TAMPA, ROGER UNDERSTOOD"

so bosun went to the starboard bridge wing in the stormy night, directing the spotlight to the liferaft.



from the bridge i see the coast guard helicopter rescue the victim of the white star one by one, the yacht were no where to be seen. now here the good experience part. at that point i was relief as feel like the burden of death were remove from  my shoulder, knowing that my action has rescue this family of six and know that they will live on. i was given the honour by the coast guard to end the S.A.R operation.

"PAN PAN, PAN PAN, PAN PAN, THIS IS THE M.T EAGLE TAMPA, TIME 0350H, JOINT SEARCH AND RESCUE OPERATION WITH MAERSK EMMA, MSC CAROLINA, MSC OSCAR AND CARNIVAL DREAM HAS CONCLUDED AND SUCCESS, ALL VICTIM THE OF THE 30M WHITE YATCH WHITE STAR HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY RESCUED. ALL SHIP ARE TO KEEP PROPER LOOKOUT AND REPORT ANY SIGHTING TO THE U.S COAST GUARD. THIS IS THE EAGLE TAMPA ON CHANNEL 16 OUT"

Comments

Popular Posts