Bad Vs Good Experience Onboard

Cadet, whenever this word comes to mind people already know we are talking about deck cadet or engine cadet. Cadetship is the first step to reach level of senior officer Merchant Navy. The journey begins back from the day you enter the academy to have your courses that essential for your further journey towards sea. And time passes and the day come when you finally about to enter to an industry, that roughly transports 90% of the world cargo.

Since you are a trainee, you have to learn and assist fellow seniors officers. Let say the need something and he or she is busy in something very important you are the one can assist them. Nobody will force you to learn but always remember one day you will standing at same place as your seniors today. Ask as much doubt to your senior and make sure to respect them.

Cadet onboard are the ones, who are most talked about. They are new and naïve to ship life. It's same like a new joiner to the world. they are there to learn and assist their senior officers in day today work and chores. The primary objective fro them should learn as much as they can and also enjoy life at sea.

I joined as a cadet in Sept 2016 it was my first time going onboard ship "POSH VIRTUE". Posh Virtue was anchored due to problem in its starboard main engine. After a month try resolving the problem the ship was laid up due to its critical main engine problem. I was transferred to "POSH CONQUEST" in November 2016. Posh Conquest gave the so many good experiences and bad too. It is a anchor handling tug supply ship AHTS. My first voyage was from Singapore to South Korea and it was a monsoon month due to end of the year.



Bad Experience

My ship was engaged in towing operation of a Gas Rig "Doosung" to South Korea. The eta was 2 months due to very slow speed. We arrived at Singapore from Batam connected the gas rig to our ship and our towing partner ship and started towing once connected. It was all going fine we went out of Singapore Straits and enter China Sea. After almost a month, in China Sea, rough weather comes, that was the time I started having bad experience onboard. Since my ship is only 70 meters in length it started to rolling and pitching sometimes up to 40 degrees. In the first day of the rough weather itself I had bad sea sickness. I started vomiting whenever I try concentrate on something. The first day I still had some energy but I couldn't eat anything and vomit if I eat even a small peanut. Sleeping was even a hard thing due to sound from surrounding things rolling here and there and with the rolling ship.


Second day I become too weak. The worst part was when I wanted have my lunch and when I smell the food I vomited in front of my crew which was eating in mess room. Lucky they was kind and assisted me cleaning.  My senior officers forced me to eat and take seasickness pill.  makes me dependent on the sea sickness pill. It relieve me a little. As the days goes I was still having sea sickness with headache and it continues for two weeks and luckily the weather become calm and I regain my energy back which makes my seniors officers happy to give me some tasks again.

The second month nearing to Japan, the rough weather comes again but this time I felt abit better than before because I was used to it before. But it was not for long until the winter comes, I was freezing since its my first time. When working in deck although I was wearing a very thick winter jacket I was still shivering, Since I cannot left the work unfinished. We reached Korea in the end of December and winter was getting colder and colder but I get adapted to it.


Good Experiences

The good part in becoming a seaman is always the Shore-Leave. Once we reached South Korea and disengaged our tow and enrouted to port to take provisions the first thing my second mate and I did was to go ashore. We went to shopping malls tried pizza hut there which had different menu and also alcohol which they call soju. Best part was I didn't spend any money for the whole day but I ate a lot and went many places, I should thank my second mate for it.

 We also went to famous Korean place where they take movie scenes and also a street market with full of delicious foods and cheap stuff but it was free for me as usual. and I got myself gear up winter gears.

"Lotte" Is the famous company in South Korea which owns many shopping mall, petrol station and many business there, I was lucky I get to visit one of the mall and it was cheap in the mall since it was local mall with local stuff I good quality.


 We was in Korea for two months and I really enjoyed the experience I get there.

Reference :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotte_World
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rough+weather&FORM=HDRSC2

Comments

Popular Posts