Good vs Bad Experience Onboard


When we mention to anyone that we are in the shipping industry, the first thing that comes into their minds is we do not have a life on board, we are far from family, we are not loyal to love ones, we do not have much work on board, and many more. I would like to clear all this stereo typical minded people who have not been to sea but yet manage to give such negative comments. I have been to sea for 12 months as a cadet and below I'm gonna list my bad and good experience on board.

Good Experience
When my voyage begin from Singapore to West Africa, I was thinking what am I going to do for 66 days of total voyage. I was on a towing vessel which we were towing two large barges. During my stay on that vessel I met many people from different background and culture. I did not know if I was going to make any friends or not. during that time. But as time pass by I manage to make everyone on board as my family member. we became close doing work together, shared our personal experiences and basically get to know each other more as we were in the vessel for a long time.

One of my good experience also was able to see other countries as we are able to go for shore leave during along side or port stay. My favorite place during my entire cadet ship for 12 months was an island called Las Palmas. It was like heaven on earth when I landed my first step there. The people were friendly and the place was just mind blowing with such stunning beauty and cleanliness. I manage to buy back some souvenirs for my family.

Made good friends on board

Las Palmas Island 


Las Palmas Canteras beach 


Bad Experience
My bad experience on board was not being able to communicate with my family as the Captain removed the WiFi for many months. I had to rely on e-mail and sometimes that will not go through as well. It was challenging and I did not have much options but to be patient and calm. Sea sickness is a deadly thing for first timers, I went through a bad sea sickness for many days, the vomiting and dizziness was dreadful. Officers on board did advise me to eat cold things like ice cream to reduce the sea sickness, and it works. Other than that, my bad experience on board was the amount of work was too much to handle for a single cadet, it was pilling up everyday regardless if I completed on the same day.

My conclusion to my experiences was that it thought me to be patient and if you feel like you are going to give up, always remember there is a bright light at the end of a tunnel.


Sea sickness 


No WiFi on board 



Comments

Popular Posts